Blight to Bright Appendix
1. International Property Maintenance Code or Individual Ordinances – Adopt legal framework to hold properties to clear standards
· Borough of Mahanoy City International Property Maintenance Code Sample Ordinance (2011)
· Spring Grove Borough International Property Maintenance Code Sample Ordinance
· Etna Door Hanger for violations
· Etna Building and Property Maintenance Code Appeal Form
· Penn Hills Code Violations Questions and Answers
2. Quality of Life Violation Ticketing Ordinance – Issue tickets and fines for code violations that are visible on the exterior of a private property
· Allentown SWEEP regulations
· Allentown Sweep Ticket Appeal Request
· City of Hazelton Quality of Life and Violations Ticket Process Regulations
· City of Reading Quality of Life Ordinance
3. Rental Property Registration – Require rental property owners to provide contact information for the owner or a local agent, pay an annual fee to cover costs of regular inspections and complaint response and learn their responsibilities under the Code and regulations.
· City of New Castle Residential Rental Property Permit Fee Law
· City of New Castle Residential Rental Registration Form
· Erie Rental Registration Law
· Borough of Mahanoy City Rental Registration Ordinance (2011)
· Coal Township Rental Registration Ordinance
· Mt. Carmel Borough Rental Registration Ordinance
· Allentown Residential Rental Unit Registration Application
· 2009 Allentown Progress Report Discusses Rental License Registration/Revocation (p.11)
4. Vacant Property Registration – Require vacant property owners to provide contact information for the owner or a local agent, pay an annual fee to cover costs of regular inspections and complaint response and learn their responsibilities under the Code and regulations.
· City of Reading 2012 Ordinance
· City of Reading Vacant/For Sale Property Application
· Steelton Borough Vacant and Foreclosed Property Ordinance
· Vacant Property Registration Ordinances from around the Country
5. Registration of Foreclosed Properties - Partner with a for-profit company to require lenders to register properties once they are in default, pay an annual fee, identify a contact person to oversee the security and maintenance of the foreclosed property.
· Steelton Borough Vacant and Foreclosed Property Ordinance (2011)
· Allentown Registration of Foreclosed Property Ordinance (2012)
· Property Registration Ordinances from around the Country
6. Pre-Sale Inspections – Require sellers to pay for inspection prior to transfer to new owner and notify owners of deficiencies or bring property up to code
· City of Allentown Pre-Sales Inspection Procedure
· City of Allentown Request for Pre-Sales Inspection
· 2009 Allentown Progress Report Discusses Implementation of Pre-Sale Inspection Program (p.7)
7. Municipal Code and Ordinance Compliance Act – Require purchasers of property with known code violations to resolve the violation within 18 months
8. Disqualification of Tax Sale Bidders – Restrict bidders with tax delinquency or code violations
· Schuylkill County Bidder Registration Form
· Schuylkill County Tax Claim Bureau Affidavit Of Bidder
9. Home Repair and Rental Rehabilitation Assistance – Offer financial assistance to owners without sufficient money to bring properties up to code
· Philadelphia Basic Systems Repair Program Pamphlet
· Philadelphia Housing Development Corporation How to Maintain Your Home Manual
10. Doors and Windows Ordinance - Impose fines for each missing door and window on a vacant property and increase fines over time
· Philadelphia Securing Vacant Property Ordinance
· Presentation on Doors and Windows Ordinance by Maura Kennedy to Local Government Academy on March 8, 2012
· Philadelphia Vacant Property Checklist
· Windows and Doors One Page Results 11.11.13
· City of Philadelphia Licenses and Inspections: Act 90 Enforcement Analysis, William Penn Data Collaborative, PPT (January 21, 2014).
11. Permit Denial – Deny municipal real property permits to owners of delinquent properties or properties with a judgment of serious code violations
· Linesville Act 90 Ordinance
· Marple Township Act 90 Ordinance
· Model Act 90 Ordinance Draft (March 2011)
· Sample Disclosure form
12. Asset Attachment - Attach owner’s other assets to pay to demolish or improve property - No Docs. Hasn’t been used yet.
13. Hall Of Shame - Bring public pressure to bear on owners of the most blighted properties
· City of Allentown Landlord Hall of Shame Website
· Coal Township Wall of Shame Website
14. Criminal Misdemeanor Sanctions for Multiple Code Violations – Impose criminal penalties on owners who repeatedly violate building, property maintenance and housing codes. No Docs. Hasn’t been used yet.
15. Extradition of Out-of- State Property Owners – Request Governor to extradite property owner living in other state for criminal prosecution with municipality paying expenses of transfer No Docs. Hasn’t been used yet.
Section 2: Tools to Address Long-Term Vacant and Abandoned Blighted Properties
1. Demolition – Remove unsafe structure and prepare property for reinvestment
2. Blight Fund – Establish a fund with tax revenue to address blight and dangerous conditions
3. Estate Administration - Open estate of deceased property owners to transfer to new owner
· Petrone Templates of Forms and Letters Regarding Administration of Estates by a Redevelopment Authority: Packet #1 , Packet #2
· PA Department of Revenue Estate Information Sheet Completed by Pettrone
· Orphans’ Court Family Agreement and Information Accounting Completed by Pettrone
· PA Department of Revenue Inheritance Tax Return Completed by Pettrone
· Real Estate and Personal Assets Inventory for Estate Completed by Pettrone
· Petition for Probate and Grant of Letters Completed by Pettrone
· Orphans Court Petition For Citations To Next Of Kin To Show Cause Why The Court Should Not Appoint A Third-Party to act As Administrator Completed by Pettrone
· Correspondence Related to Administration of Estates by Redevelopment Authority of Wilkinsburg
4. Conservatorship - Appoint third party to enter onto someone else’s property and complete the improvements needed to make it safe
· Act 135 of 2008 Summary, Housing Alliance
· Housing Alliance Conservatorship Clearinghouse Webpage
· Housing Alliance Conservatorship Handbooks
· Pennsylvania’s Abandoned and Blighted Property Conservatorship Act: Implementation and Best Practices Manual, Regional Housing Legal Services (April 2011).
5. Condemn Property Using Blighted Property Review Committee
· Presentation by Linda Kelleher City of Reading City Clerk, Reinventing the BPRC Process, For the Local Government Academy (March 8 2012).
· 2009 Allentown Progress Report Discusses Operating Plan for Blighted Property Review Committee (p.5)
6. Land Bank - Create a single entity to acquire, manage and dispose of vacant properties
· Dauphin County By-Laws
· Dauphin County Land Bank Ordinance
· Dauphin County Land Bank Memorandum of Understanding with Township and School District
· Philadelphia Land Bank Ordinance
· Irene Mclaughlin, Land Bank and Tax Sales Memo: Municipal Claims and Tax Lien Law (MCTLL), Housing Alliance (2013).
· Irene Mclaughlin, Land Bank and Tax Sales Memo: Real Estate Tax Sale Law (RETLS), Housing Alliance (2013).